• Spirituality discussion. Monday at 1 p.m. Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Venice, 1971 Pinebrook Road. A special program exploring the meaning of “Spirituality” will be presented by Linda Kabo in Waters Hall.The public is invited and there is no charge. Discussion will focus on understandings of spirituality and how mind, heart and body participate in the spiritual experience. For more information, contact Jaye Williams at email@example.com or call 941-587-2981.
• Friend Day. Monday, 11 a.m.-noon. Calvary Baptist Church, 75 Pine St., Englewood. Enjoy a heartwarming experience, a stirring message out of God's Word and a friendly church family. Join us for exciting things taking place. For information, call the church office at 941-475-1555.
• Free movie event. Oct. 14 at 2 p.m. Christ United Methodist Church, 1475 Center Road, Venice. Free. “Steve McQueen, American Icon.” Actor, legend, tough guy, American icon: the untold true story of the spiritual quest of a Hollywood legend. 941-493-7504.
• Experience HU - Sound of Soul. Oct. 13 at 11 a.m. Eckankar in meeting Room at the Jacaranda Library, 4143 Woodmere Park Blv., Venice. There will be 15-20 minutes of chanting followed by 2-5 minutes quiet contemplation, and then discussion and light refreshments. 941-358-0325 and eckankarblog.org/sound-of-soul/.
• Greek Orthodox Christian monastery visit. Oct. 27, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Holy Spirit Orthodox Church, 700 Shamrock Blvd., Venice. A trip to Panagia Vlahernon Orthodox Monastery near Ocala for the day. We will learn about monastic life, why it is important, have a service of healing and venerate the holy relics, and learn about the history of the monastery and Elder Ephraim. We will eat lunch with the monks and eat dinner on the way home. Cash donations to the monastery are recommended, we will also share the cost of transportation. 941-497-7041.
• Interfaith conversation. Oct. 21, 2-8 p.m. First Congregational United Church of Christ, 1031 S Euclid Ave., Sarasota. Free. Open to the public, but reservations are encouraged. The event, “Caring for the Earth”, will include panelists from local Jewish, Islamic, Christian and Buddhist communities. Dinner (attentive to halal, kashrut and vegetarian requirements) will be provided without charge, but donations will be welcomed. Sponsors include The First Congregational UCC, The Environmental Studies Program of New College, The Islamic Society of Sarasota and Bradenton, The Church of the Redeemer (Episcopal), and The First Presbyterian Church of Sarasota. 941-953-7044.
• Grief and Grace Support Group. Beginning Oct. 1, 10:30 a.m. to noon. Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 790 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice. Life goes on but sometimes it's really hard. Come share, learn how to cope and find out what helps and what doesn't after death of a loved one. A 6-week support group. Call Barb Spenks at 941-488-4942 x 1020 for more information or to register for the class. All are welcome
• Sanctuary discussions. During October, Sundays 9-10 a.m. in Waters Hall. Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Venice, 1971 Pinebrook Road, Venice. Discussion will explore the word “sanctuary,” and what it means to be a people of sanctuary. Four sessions. For more information, contact Jaye Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 941-587-2981, or visit uucov.org.
• Israel Tour 2019. The North Port Community United Church of Christ, 3450 S. Biscayne Dr. Especially designed for the church, Faith Journeys will depart from Orlando Sept. 20 and return Sept. 30, 2019. The Rev. Attila Szemesi will be the tour host. Airfare, hotel accommodations, professional guides and chartered transportation and two meals a day are included. Visit email@example.com for details. Call 941-426-5580 for registration.
• Harry Chapin Food Bank Mobile Pantry. First Tuesday of every month, 3-5 p.m. Gulf Cove United Methodist Church, 1100 McCall Road, Port Charlotte. Canned and dry goods, fresh produce, bread, and frozen protein items. Stop first at the registration table to complete a short form. 941-697-1749.
• GriefShare Program. The Congregational Church, 630 E. Laurel Road, Nokomis. Every Monday, 6:30 p.m. A non-denominational program featuring teaching that focuses on grief topics and support associated with the death of a loved one. The DVD seminar features nationally respected grief experts followed by a small group discussion. 941-809-9238.
• St. David's Episcopal Church, 401 S. Broadway, Englewood, is offering Neuro Challenge, a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people with Parkinson’s and their caregivers. Monthly support groups, educational programs, and individualized care. St. David's Parish Hall every the third Friday of every month at 10 a.m. Neuro Challenge serves Manatee, Sarasota and Charlotte counties. 941-474-3140.
• SAFE-Family support/education for family members of a loved involved with drugs or alcohol. Free. Every Monday 6:00 p.m. Christ United Methodist Church, 1475 Center Road, Venice, 941-493-7504.
• Gulf Cove United Methodist Church, 1100 McCall Road, Port Charlotte, hosts Food for the Soul on Wednesdays. Bible study from 4:30-5:30 p.m., followed by dinner ($4 for adults, $2.50 age 10 and under, $12 family maximum). Various activities for children and adults at 6 p.m. 941-697-1747, GulfCoveChurch.com.
• North Port Community United Church of Christ, 3450 S. Biscayne Drive, offers adult Sunday School at 8:30 a.m. in Decker Hall. Call 941-426-5580.
• Port Charlotte United Methodist Church, 21075 Quesada Ave., Port Charlotte, features a fitness program on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10 a.m. A $5 donation is suggested for the Revelation Fitness program. 941-625-4356.
• The Reformed Community Church, 1600 Banyan St., Venice, holds Bible Study Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m. in the church hall.
• North Port Community United Church of Christ, 3450 S. Biscayne Drive. Each Tuesday, at 11 a.m.-noon, an interactive Bible Study is held guided by Pastor Attila Szemesi. On Wednesdays from 7-9 a.m. the Sanctuary is open for personal reflection time. And from 8-9 a.m., on Wednesdays, Pastor Attila can be reached at 941-426-5580 for private phone line prayer. Call 941-426-5580 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
• Christ United Methodist Church, 1475 Center Road, Venice offers Support and Addiction Family Education Mondays from 6-7:30 p.m. Free. 941-493-7504; christvenice.com; cumc.info/SAFE.
• Burnt Store Presbyterian Church, 11330 Burnt Store Road, Punta Gorda, offers GriefShare on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon and 6-8 p.m. Workbook is $15. 941-639-0001; email@example.com.
• Bay Point Church, 208 Palm Ave., Nokomis. Sunday service at 9 a.m. 941-488-4137.
• Burnt Store Presbyterian Church, 11330 Burnt Store Road, Punta Gorda: Sunday services at 8:15 a.m. and 11 a.m. traditional, and 9:40 a.m. contemporary.
• Christian Science Society of Venice, 152 Nokomis Ave. N., Venice: Sunday service at 10:30 a.m.
• Christ Lutheran, 701 N. Indiana Ave., Englewood: traditional worship with communion on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. 941-474-1989.
• The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 3000 E. Venice Ave., Venice: Sunday Sacrament meeting at 10 a.m. and Sunday School at 11:10 a.m. 941-882-2921.
• Emmanuel Lutheran Church, 800 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice. Liturgical worship on Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 8:30 a.m.; abridged worship Sunday at 10 a.m. A service of Word and Prayer is offered Thursdays at 10 a.m. All services include Holy Communion. All are welcome. www.emmanuel-elca.org or call 941-488-4942.
• Evangelical Covenant Church, corner of Vincent East and Bay Indies Boulevard, Venice. Sunday Service 10:25 a.m. All denominations welcome. 941-484-1150.
• Faith Lutheran Church, 551 Rotonda Blvd. W., Rotonda West. traditional service with communion Sunday at 9:30 a.m. 941-697-6228
• Fellowship Church, 140 Rotonda Blvd. W., Rotonda: Sunday services at 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. Nursery available. Hospitality Cafe at 9:30 a.m. 941-475-7447.
• First Christian Church, 1100 Center Road, Venice: Sunday services at 8:30 and 10 a.m. Celebrate Recovery is at 6 p.m. 941-408-8088, churchthatcares.com.
• First Church of Christ, Scientist, 35 S. Oxford Drive, Englewood: Sunday worship at 10:30 a.m. Sunday school and nursery are available. Wednesday testimony meeting at 7:30 p.m. 941-474-8444.
• First Presbyterian, ECO, 25250 Airport Road, Punta Gorda: Sunday worship at 9 a.m. (praise service) and 10:30 a.m. (traditional service with choir). 941-639-1959, fpcpunta.org.
• Good Shepherd Episcopal Church, 1115 Center Road, Venice. Sunday Sunday service 8 a.m., Holy Eucharist Rite 11 a.m. with music 10 a.m. Wednesday Eucharist with Healing Prayers 9:15 a.m. 941-497-7286.
• Grace Church Sarasota Campus, 8521 Vamo Road, Sarasota. Sundays, 9:41 a.m.
• Lakeside Lutheran Church, 2401 S. Tamiami Trail, Venice. Traditional service, 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. Contemporary service, 9:30 a.m. 941-488-2613.
• North Port Community United Church of Christ, 3450 S. Biscayne Drive: Sunday service at 10 a.m. Child care is provided. 941-426-5580; firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, 1301 Center Road, Venice: Mass on Saturdays at 8 a.m., 3 and 5 p.m., and on Sundays at 8, 10 a.m. and noon. 941-544-8752.
• Osprey Church of Christ, 409 Pennsylvania Ave., Osprey: Sunday services at 10 a.m. Bible studies are Sunday at 9 a.m. and Wednesday at 7 p.m. 205-492-9354.
• The Reformed Community Church, 1600 Banyan St., Venice: Sunday services at 10:30 a.m. Communion is on the first Sunday of the month. 941-493-3075.
• Rising Tide International, 5102 Swift Road, Sarasota: Sundays, 10:30 a.m. Multi-faith service celebrating the unity in diversity.
• The Salvation Army of South Sarasota County, 1051 Albee Farm Road, Venice: family worship on Sundays at 11 a.m.
• South Venice Baptist Church, 3167 Englewood Road, Venice, has Sunday Bible Study/Sunday School at 9:30 a.m. Worship service is at 10:45 a.m. 941-493-0022.
• St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Church, 5394 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key: Saturday Vigils Masses at 4, 6 p.m.; Sunday Masses at 8, 10 a.m., noon. Confession on Saturdays 8:30-9 a.m. and 3-3:30 p.m.
• Sarasota Center of Light, 852 S. Tuttle Ave., Sarasota, Sunday Morning Celebration Service with Children’s Sunday School available at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Evening Message Service at 7 p.m. Wednesday Candlelight Healing Service at 7 p.m. 941-953-6622.
• South Venice Baptist Church, 3167 Englewood Road, Venice: Sunday worship at 10:45 a.m. Nursery provided. Sunday Bible Study/Sunday School is at 9:30 a.m. 941-493-0022.
• St. Margaret of Scotland Episcopal Church, 8700 State Rd. 72/ Clark Rd., Sarasota. Contemplative worship at 8 a.m. and music and celebration at 9:30 a.m. Holy Eucharist at both services. 941-925-2525.
• St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 2506 Gulf Gate Drive, Sarasota: Saturday at 4 p.m.; Sunday at 8, 9:45 and 11:30 a.m. 941-923-1691.
• SunCoast Cathedral Metropolitan Community Church, 3276 E. Venice Ave., Venice: Open/affirming communion each Sunday at 10 a.m. 941-484-7068.
• Temple Sinai, 4631 South Lockwood Ridge Road welcomes you to Shabbat Worship Service and Torah Discussion with Rabbi Michael Churgel and Chazzan Cliff Abramson at 10:00 a.m. on Saturdays. Call 941-924-1802 for more details.
• Trinity Presbyterian Church, 4365 S.R. 776, Venice: contemporary worship Sunday at 9 a.m. and traditional worship at 10:30 a.m. 941-493-0018.
• Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Venice, 1971 Pinebrook Road, Venice: Sunday services at 10 a.m. 941-485-2105.
• United Methodist Church, 700 East Dearborn St., Englewood: Sunday services at 7:45 (traditional), 9:15 (contemporary) and 11 a.m. (traditional). Wednesday Bible study 6:30 p.m. englewoodumc.net; 941-474-5588.
• Unity of Venice, 125 N. Jackson Road, Venice. Sunday Service 10:30-11:30 a.m. with potluck to follow on the second Sunday of each month. www.veniceunity.org. 941-484-5342.
• Venice Holistic Community Center, 714 Shamrock Blvd., Venice: Buddhist Wisdom for Everyday Life on Sundays, 4 to 5:30 p.m. Drop-ins welcome.
Adding your item
To submit your news or worship time, go to heraldtribune.com/submit and click on Submit Community News. All items must include the street address and telephone number; the deadline is 5 p.m. Tuesdays for publication on Saturday.